My favorite subject in school was always history and now that I am an adult nothing has changed. I love old photos of all the great landmarks in Newport Beach with some good information to go with it. Today I thought I would share some of that information with our readers. Enjoy!
The Balboa Pavilion was built in 1906 by the Newport Bay Investment Company and was the hub of all things Newport Beach.
It was the south stop on the electric railway that connected Newport Beach to Los Angeles. Balboa Pavilion has been home to 28 different types of business over the last 100 years including a bowling alley, gambling hall, post office, and art museum just to name a few.
Today Balboa Pavilion is home to Davey’s Locker Sportfishing, Harborside Restaurant and Grand Ballroom and the offices for the Catalina Flyer.
Other fun facts about Balboa Pavilion in Newport Beach:
- During construction it could only be reached by boat but the opening coincided with the completion of the Electric Car Line (the electric train to LA)
- The train ride took 1 hour to get from Downtown Los Angeles to Newport. That’s great by today’s standards!
- The Balboa Ferry opened in 1907 connecting the peninsula with Corona Del Mar.
- In the 1920’s bathing suit rentals was a big business in Newport Beach.
- Shortly after its opening each July 4th there was a “Bathing Beauty Parade where the contestants would parade around Balboa and come to the Balboa Pavilion for judging.
If you have any great stories or photos of Newport Beach please share them with us!
For more information on Newport Peninsula Real Estate, Balboa Island Real Estate, or waterfront homes for sale, please contact one of our Newport Beach realtors today!